Make a difference in someone's life today!
Why Volunteer at Literacy South Halton?
Without our dedicated and passionate volunteers, Literacy South Halton would not be able to provide the services we do.
If you have time available once or twice a week for a two hour lesson, why not become a tutor today? Make a difference in someone’s life! No previous teaching experience is required, just some free time, enthusiasm and a desire to help someone.
In order to enable our learners to upgrade their skills as quickly and pleasantly as possible, we request that our tutors be:
- Patient, respectful of confidentiality
- Reliable and committed for one-two years
- Enthusiastic and positive
- Possess good reading and writing skills
- Minimum age requirement of 21
- Law abiding citizen subject to a police check
You will help an adult improve their quality of life at home, work and in the community by developing their reading, writing, math and computer literacy skills.
Our tutors changes student’s lives by:
- Increasing their chance of getting a job or getting a better job
- Helping them achieve their personal goals
- Boosting their self-esteem and self confidence
As a tutor we provide you with the training, the learning the plan, the resources, the ongoing assessments, the space, the support and encouragement!
Tutor Training Workshops
Attendance is mandatory for the two day tutor training workshop to become a Certified Laubach Tutor. Typically two day tutor training workshops are held in the fall and early spring.
Please call our office to find out when the next Information Session is being held.
Police checks are required for all tutors, volunteers, board members and staff.